Monday, August 22, 2005

A New Country, A New College: The First Day

My first class today was of Economic ilk
An old cow of a teacher, Run of the Mil(k)
The blonde to my left, i will not maligne
But the beast to my right was eminently bovine.
Fenced in by cudders of aspects benign
Beware of the udders, I masticated my time
With talk of econ., micro and Smith, Adam
You bored my head to a snooze, dear Madam,
Or "ma'am", if you will, for the abbreviation-inclined
But whichever way I say it, I'm sure you wont mind.
One thing I find about these American teachers is that they are not too big on respect
You dont have to hail, salute, make appeasement sacrifices, wear sack cloth and ashes or genuflect
No curtsies, bows or such hullabaloo
A simple "hello" will do.

Thus did I come upon the one o' clock hour
With my expectations expectant and my mood, sour .
English one-oh-one, for the uninitaied
Involves writing and reading, opinionated
On matters of culture, politcs and race
While Ms. Cooper rattles on at a furious pace
On grading and points, negatives and plusses,
On detailed syllabi, or is it syllabusses ?
But whichever way its read, pronounced or defined
I'm sure Ms. Cooper won't mind.
One thing I have found about American teachers is that one's i's needn't be crossed, nor one's t's dotted
Nor must I read the chapters in advance, have them summarized and feverishly swotted
A decent grade point average will suffice.
You know, I think it could be quite nice.

3 comments:

Jugular Bean said...

Hahahaha! This is awesome!

You've been belting on the Nash I see

Avalonian said...

Nash is where its at Bean!

Chandy said...

that's nashty ol bean!